Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Kids Schule (School)


Getting the kids signed up for school was a little crazy.  School started 5 days after we got here and we still hadn't signed them up, or decided which one.  It came down to the exclusive german public school that was german immersion (1/2 day English, 1/2 day German) that wasn't too far away. Or the affluent english speaking private international school that was about a 35 minute drive away. In the end we decided to go with the private school, and I think we made the right decision.

It is called the Berlin Brandenburg International School.  It is in a town called Kleinmachnow which is between Berlin and Potsdam.  It is set back into the trees and has a lot of history.  It used to be Hitler's Secret Weapon Testing Headquarters (kind of creepy, but kind of cool).  It is protected as a landmark and so it still has the original marble floors, stone walls, etc. but it has been transformed into a beautiful school. There are 4 houses (buildings), and grades preK-12 are all spread out between the 4.  Each building is connected with semi underground gothic tunnels.  The kids think that it looks like Hogwart's so they love it.  Apparently there are also a bunch of secret tunnels that run well below the school.  They give tours occasionally, I really want to go on one.

The gymnasium is a new building across campus.  It is stunning, and it where Berlin's pro basketball team practices in the evenings and weekends.

BBIS is an IB / PYP program.  Which is awesome.  They do not believe in timed testing, teach to the test, or homework.  Homework is optional and only given to teach the kids how to work independently at home (Which outside of reading at home they have several studies that show that homework is not productive) YAY!!!!!!!  All of the things that I hated about the school in Leesburg. Their program is similar to montessori in that they believe in playing while learning, hands on learning, and ensuring that learning is fun. (and somehow they still manage to have successful graduates :) Okay enough of my snarky comments:)  The girls get german instruction for an hour everyday, which they love!

Here is the campus.  The school owns the lake (also where Hitler tested weapons, shudder) as well as the surrounding forest.  The 3 buildings that are to the far right are the "houses" they are where all students have their classes.  The other 3 buildings are the boarding school and offices.



This is part of the playground.  They have several playground teachers that are there to play with the kids. It is great! One of the teachers sat and ate Brooklyn's sand pie's throughout the entire recess.  Also there are real toys like bikes, wagons, scooters, you name it.  The only thing I don't like is the sand which is why the kids have  "house shoes" shoes that are only worn inside.  They change their shoes before and after recess.


This is the cafeteria where they have catered meals that are fresh and amazing!  The only downside is that the German diet is very potato heavy and so Brooklyn has to take a lunch from home.


The only other difference in schools here is that there are no crazy rules.  If it is your birthday you can bring in cake, ice cream you name it.  They encourage parents to come in classroom as often as they want. They also encourage parents to come in and teach about different religious holidays, and cultures, including food. Which I really like. They allow friends to come to school with you for  few days, if you would like (so come visit and bring your kids)  And they have snack time 2 times a day, and they aren't just crackers.  Kids bring in sandwiches,  cinnamon rolls, etc. As you can imagine Brooklyn and Hallie loved this idea:)


5 comments:

Lauren said...

Ummm, this sounds amazing! Now I want my kids to go to school there :) I kind of wish I went to school there.

Hansen Family said...

This school sounds incredible!! What a fun adventure this is for you guys. What amazing memories you are making.
Not gonna lie-I am kind of jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Seriously Jane, I'm ready to move in with you guys! So not liking the kids' school at all and this sounds FABULOUS! Miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

Jane I am loving your blog, LOVING it!!! I've just spent the past 30 minutes laughing and almost crying while I was reading your posts about flying to Germany! The school sounds amazing!

Unknown said...

By the way, Lana Miller is me, Sveta, it's not letting me put a different name than on my gmail account